• Recipes Chocolate Pralines

    Chocolate Pralines combine the crumbly, nutty taste of classic pralines with rich semi-sweet chocolate. ...

  • RESEP DAGING GULUNG

    Bahan : * 300 gr daging sapi has dalam * 100 gr lobak * 2 sdm mentega, untuk menumis. ...

  • PINEAPPLE-ORANGE SUNSHINE CAKE

    In a large bowl, mix together all of the frosting ingredients until well blended. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.. ...

  • Rempeyek Kacang

    Bahan: * 400 gr tepung beras * ½ sendok makan tapioka * ½ kg kacang tanah dikupas dan dibelah 2 * 4 buah bawang putih. ...

  • Recipes Red fruit salad with mint syrup

    Enjoy this refreshing dessert that doesn't take forever to prepare and goes down a treat with guests. . ...

Monday, February 16, 2009

How to Make a Topsy Turvy cake

When I made my short video for my Valentine's day cake a lot of people requested directions to make it. So I re-edited the video to make it longer and included directions. Hopefully it's clear enough but let me know if you have any questions.

I made this cake from 6", 8", and 10" tiers each 3 layers high. I iced them with buttercream and then covered with fondant. I recently discovered the "secret combination" for covering cakes with fondant. I'm probably the last person in the world to figure it out but I found that if I chilled the cakes in the fridge for a couple of hours, spritzed them with water, then covered with fondant, and then chilled them in the fridge again, then my cakes wouldn't inflate like a balloon. If I covered a chilled cake with fondant and left it on the counter to decorate then it got all sorts of horrible air bubbles and ruined my smooth fondant. So it turns out the cake and fondant have to get to the same temperature so they don't fight each other. The cake doesn't have to stay cold either. I take it out of the fridge a a couple of hours before the party and it gets to room temperature by the time it's cut and it still looks great. It glistens a little from the condensation but I think it's a fair trade off. Chilled cakes are so much easier to cover.



Update: *sigh* My own mother "accidentally" rated my video 3 stars. Since I just uploaded the video today and only a few people have viewed it then I'm deleting it and uploading it again. Mom! Do you have any idea how long it takes to upload a video to youtube?! Eh, don't worry about it. :)

Categories:

0 komentar:

Post a Comment